ND Recycling is a campus-wide effort to make recycling a common and convenient practice. By involving students, faculty, and staff in this effort to be more environmentally friendly, ND Recycling furthers the University's goal to be a socially-conscious institution. Reduce, reuse, and recycle Notre Dame!
What goes in the recycling bin?
Many things are recyclable as long as food and liquids are emptied out first.
Recyclable items on campus include:
- Clean paper, including newsprint, catalogs, magazines, phone books, copy paper, and junk mail and mail envelopes with the plastic window removed - no wax coating, please
- Clean plastic items numbered 1 - 6
- Clean glass food & beverage containers clear or colored
- Clean metal cans and aluminum food and beverage containers
- Clean, empty cardboard - no wax coating, please
- Clean unused towels and napkins
Remember, when in doubt, throw it out.
What does not go in the recycling bin?
- Food and liquids
- Plastic bags
- Hot beverage cups
- Plastic utensils
- Flexible packaging and multi-laminated materials
- Sticky notes
- CD's - these can be recycled through the electronic recycling program on campus. Please submit an AiM work order to schedule a pick-up.
- Used tissues, wet paper towels, and broken household items – these go in the trash!
- Batteries and non-university cell phones: These go in the battery buckets, located in Hammes Mowbray Lobby, DeBartolo Hall Help Desk Room 115, ITC Building Computer Service and Repair Office, Rockne Memorial Building Front Desk, and the Main Building West Side Entrance Recycling Station
- Toner Cartridges: Plastic mailers can be found at recycling centers in your building. Place your toner in a mailer (or a regular envelope if it doesn’t fit) and put it in campus mail addressed to Recycling 100 Mason Services Center. The toner cartridges are sent back to the manufacturer to be refilled.
- CFL Lightbulbs: Designated collection containers should be located in all dorms for special pickup. Offices should give their burned out bulbs to Maintenance or call 631-8888.
- University Cell Phones, tablets, and Computers: Fax in an ND Surplus form to request a pickup.
You should notice new recycling signage in buildings across campus. Thank you for your patience and continued commitment to ensure our campus recycling is clean. For additional information regarding recycling, visit green.nd.edu, For any general questions, please contact the Office of Sustainability via email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-2748.
For special pick-ups call (574) 631-7026.